Saturday 20 December 2008

Beyond Judgement

It was the Christmas party at work the other day. I prefer not to be around when people are eating meat or drinking alcohol so like I do every year, I told my manager that I would join everyone after they had eaten. She's a very understanding person and didn't have any problems with this, but one thing I have noticed over the years is that some people think that if you don't want to join them when they are doing certain things, then you're basically judging them.

Here's another example. When there is an Anand Kaaraj (Sikh Wedding) at a Gurduaara Sahib (Sikh place of worship) and the couple aren't Amritdharee (initiated Sikhs), people have got really funny about me not wanting to attend. I've tried many times to explain, in a loving manner, how I can't imagine Guroo Gobind Singh Jee presiding over a marriage between two people who don't keep His Rehit (code of conduct), and how I feel the same way about Guroo Granth Sahib Jee. For me, just because The Satguroo is no longer embedded within a human form does not mean that I should disable my sense of judgement and assume anything goes.

No matter how hard you try though people get offended because by virtue of the very fact that you have decided not to take part means that you have judged them. I am sure that some people think they are better than others due to their beliefs or lifestyle but Gursikhs however perceive themselves as the lowest of the low. How do they manage to do this despite the fact that GurbaaNee often distinguishes between those who follow the Satguroo's Teachings and those who do not?

When GurbaaNee talks about Manmukhs (egoists) the Gursikh truly feels that The Satguroo is addressing them. Due to this unflinching self-perception, a profound sense of genuine humility wells-up within the Gursikh. This protects them and allows them to advance spiritually. As far as they are concerned, they are the biggest Manmukh. No matter how much they are praised or respected, or whatever spiritual experiences they are blessed with, they perceive themselves as dirt. This is The Satguroo's great blessing.

( ( ( : -) >>>
Atma Singh
everyday sikhee

1 comment:

Manvir Singh (UK) said...

Waheguru.

May Guru Ji give us all the strength to stay true to gurmat asools (principles), no matter how hard or difficult it is.

Guru Ji has shown Daas that until an individual doesn't respect his own principles and beliefs, then no one else will.


Thanks for nice post Bhai Sahib :)

May Guru Ji continue to inspired and uplift us all.

Post a Comment