Monday 15 December 2008

Isn't life busy!

Photo Credit: G & M



Where does time go? Probably on long-term holiday to a really nice place where there are no children, mobile phones or other distractions. Either that or there must be be someone who takes time hostage without telling us they did so!

I’m at work, with my head hunched over my shoulders, trying to not let anyone spot me dossing (‘messing around’ for you non-British readers)! It’s unlikely I’ll be able to post until Wednesday now – I’ll be working evenings for the next few days it seems.

Social Services is such a busy sector – if you’re not running around arranging to meet people, or actually meeting people, you’re typing-up what happened at the meetings where you met people. Either that or you’re trying to do what you thought you would be doing more of: helping young people with their everyday problems and crises. 80% paper-work and meetings, 20% actual engagement with young people. Oh well…

The weekend was busy too. Saturday was a mish-mash of smelly nappies, odd jobs and what-not. On Sunday I was invited to speak to the children at Khalsa Primary School in Slough (near London) who were receiving awards for good behaviour, achievement etc. The Trust’s chairman, Nichattar Singh, took the opportunity to announce that OFSTED (School Inspectors) had awarded the school an overall ‘good’ rating, and had rated ‘personal development of pupils’ in particular as outstanding. Excellent for a school which didn’t exist around 18 months ago!

I tried to inspire the kids by telling them that the New Year was a chance to get closer to their Satguroo. The central message was that when we think we get an award or recognition through our own efforts, our heart seals itself off. This means we stop The Satguroo from entering into our lives.


Conversely, if we realise that we are not able to achieve anything by ourselves, then The Satguroo transforms every day of our lives into a little miracle, because we open our hearts, letting his Love enter into our thoughts, words and actions. In this way, every second, minute and hour is blessed.

This morning my wife took Zor Singh for his ‘development review’ where medical staff assessed his mental and physical health as well as progression. She called me a little while ago to say that he is two months ahead in terms of intelligence, reactions, engagement etc. Satguroo Jee has looked after him so well. I just hope we do justice regarding the responsibility we’ve been blessed with. I hope we always make enough time for him.

Not being able to update this blog, which I am starting to enjoy more than I thought I would, coupled with a hectic work schedule which limits ‘dossing opportunities’, made me remember the following words of wisdom:


“Life is what happens to you while you’re making
other plans”

John Lennon


So with the above in mind, this is my plan: I plan not to update this blog by Wednesday evening, so maybe Life will turn out such that I happen to post on Wednesday!

I've just realised the irony; I started out mentioning I didn't have enough time to blog today and ended up blogging about time...today!


Right, about time I got back back to the day job.


( ( ( : -) >>>

Atma Singh
everyday sikhee

No comments:

Post a Comment